Random Creativity

Creative stuff I make or think of and need to share with the universe.

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Addicted to Fabric

My Grandma Sadie made each of us kids a twin quilt and I also received a queen quilt when I graduated high school. Both of which I treasure and each patch was hand embroidered! She taught me that fancy embroidery stitch when I would visit her years ago, but I cannot recall how to do it. I am sure I could find a tutorial for that online. My second oldest son requested to bring it back to college with him when he came home at Christmas.

I always have admired handmade quilts and "wished" I could do that myself. Raising kids, side tracked by other creative endeavors and other excuses I tabled the idea until recently.

I ordered some yarn online from Craftsy.com and they included a little "gift" of a charm pack as a thank you. I thought to myself, "How did they know I wanted to try quilting?" So online I went to learn via tutorials and lessons (thank you to all of those ladies who take the time to do this by the way). Quite a few quilts later, I am feeling more confident and creative and am going to branch out into baby handmade and such.

As if I haven't got enough projects to finish, I am now addicted to my sewing machine that I received from my in-laws for Christmas quite a few years back.

Here is the first quilt I made with the gifted charm pack and some minky fabric I had on hand.





Seriously there are so many wonderful designs on fabrics that it makes me want to start designing textile patterns. For now, I am content in finding them and piecing them together.

In order of creating, here are the others I have completed so far.









This one I added some fun ribbon to that reminded me of water for the ducks.


I have another smaller one I haven't photographed yet and two more to complete. Oh, and already enough other fabric for a kajillion more. So my yarn stash has competition! Watch for more coming soon! 
When I get time, I will make note of the patterns I used for inspiration.


No comments:

Post a Comment